How to Be a Power Connector: The 5-50-150 Rule with Judy Robinett (includes Show Notes)
Connecting with others is an essential part of business and is an important element to success. Yet it can also be one of the hardest things to do! So what are the key connection mastery skills and how do we implement them? Judy Robinett is a business thought leader who has been profiled in The Street, Vogue, CBS, NBC, Forbes, The Washington Post & Bloomberg Businessweek, as well as author of “How to Be a Power Connector:The 5-50-150 Rule”. On this show we discussed how ‘How to Be a Power Connector’ bringing together real-world examples from a variety of power connectors in multiple industries, helping you replicate and apply the critical connection skills that will get you results!
More about Judy Robinett:
Judy Robinett is a business thought leader who has been profiled in The Street, Vogue, CBS, NBC, Forbes, The Washington Post & Bloomberg Businessweek as a sterling example of the new breed of “super connectors” who use their experience & networks to accelerate growth & enhance profitability. She gives speeches worldwide on business strategy & high-end strategic networking to specific outcomes. In more than 30 years of experience as an entrepreneur & corporate leader, Robinett has served as the CEO of both public & private companies & in management positions at Fortune 500 companies. She has been on the advisory boards of Illuminate Ventures, an early-stage venture capital firm based in Menlo Park, California; Pereg Ventures, adventure capital firm based in New York; & Springboard Enterprises, an internationally recognized incubator. Robinett is the author of “How to Be a Power Connector:The 5-50-100 Rule,”. Her second book “Crack the Funding Code” will be released September 2018.
This show aired live on 12th January 2018 at 8am(PT)/11am(EST)/4pm(GMT). To listen please visit https://www.voiceamerica.com/episode/104616/how-to-be-a-power-connector-the-5-50-150-rule-with-judy-robinett
– connect with people you feel safe with, have a good head and heart and will return your calls
– be specific about the nature of people who could help you
– build and nurture a list of about 50 connections
– First look at how you can give to them/be kind
– Next tell them what you are doing now
– Then ask them what ideas do you have for me?
– Then ask who else do you know I should talk too.
– Get good with Linkedin and Twitter (15 mins per day). Judy has 55,000 connections on Twitter (at Jan 18)
– Talk to 2 strangers every day, can offer a compliment to break the ice. You never know who you will meet or what you will learn
– When at a networking event or on a display stand at a show – get from behind a desk and mix – smile/shake hands/ask how they are finding the event/why did they attend/offer a compliment. At a show give them eg white paper if they are interested. You then follow the process above
– Do not be passive or afraid to talk to people. They will often appreciate a conversation with you.
– Be open to strangers and open to serendipity which occurs once you have got into action
1. Kick Fear Into Touch
2. Commit to building a strategic network as a goal this year
3. Write your network down and look and work on it regularly
4. Get clear about what you want/realize you are worthy and that you have the resources to make it happen
5. Take Action
6. Go to a couple of groups that you would not typically go to.
Download Judy’s top 10 Power Connecting Tips Top Ten-1