The Engaging Leader – Be ‘Deliberately Different’ the Nevis Way
I recently had the pleasure to interview Greg Phillip the very inspiring CEO of the Nevis Tourism Authority with Jane Hansom of Sponge Marketing. Jane is responsible in the UK for Nevis public relations and as the world iron man champion in 2016 – incredibly inspirational too! They are also smart as their work involves the most beautiful island in the Caribbean. Very smart!
A key message really stood out for me from a really fascinating conversation with these two engaging leaders. This was BE DELIBERATELY DIFFERENT. The first point was:
1. BE YOURSELF – how much more authentic can you be when you are simply being yourself? Now we were talking about a beautiful Caribbean Island and the desire to keep it unspoiled by commercialism so it remains a tranquil and beautiful place to stay for generations to come. However, in life we can allow ourselves to try and be something that we are not. So why not be congruent by simply being ourselves.
2. STAND OUT IN A POSITIVE WAY – so keep things positive. Be the best version of yourself. Stand out for the right things. After all our legacy is that people remember us for the right reasons. Not that we leave a wake of mess behind us.
3. BE HISTORICALLY AWARE – Where are the true gems in your history that could help you move forward today? Nevis was the birthplace and childhood home of one of the founding fathers of the United States – Alexander Hamilton. Also, the place Horatia Nelson was stationed as a young sea captain and met his bride. What are the gems in your own family and life history that could serve you well now if you uncovered them?
4. GROW – It is best to grow in the areas you are good at. Visitors to Nevis say it is the most romantic island in the world, it is wonderful for nature lovers, for health and wellness, for fresh food produce and diving. There are some clues here as to where to focus growth. Those areas where Nevis is genuinely really good at. So what areas are you really good at that you can grow yourself or your business in?
5. BELIEVE IN WHAT YOU ARE DOING – there is nothing more engaging than people who really believe in what they are doing. This really came across in this interview with Greg and Jane. They literally love their work and completely authentically believe in Nevis. Jane is even currently buying a home on Nevis.
Listen to the interview and get caught up in the passion from two very inspiring leaders and thinkers. Then consider whether you talk with the same passion when you lead and how these principles can help you succeed by being deliberately different. Who knows one day your success may enable you to be regularly holidaying on the beautiful island of Nevis
To also find out more about Sponge Marketing
Chris Cooper is an engagement and leadership development specialist, coach, workshop facilitator and speaker based in the UK. He is host of the Business Elevation Show the most accessed business show on Voice America in 2017 and Co-Author of The Power To Get Things Done (Whether You Feel Like It Or Not). He is a fellow of the Professional Speaking Association and partner of Engagement Multiplier .
To contact Chris to see how he and his business can help you : [email protected]